From the road to the beach is two miles (four miles round trip). Cumberland Island is the southern most barrier island located off the coast of Georgia near the town of St. Marys. Posts tagged Yankee Paradise Cumberland Island Getaway. 0 Bewertungen. Yankee Paradise på Tripadvisor. Parallel Trail. Sea Camp has toilets, treated water, and cold showers. summary of our recent trip for anyone interested in camping with children: Our family of five just finished a fabulous four day / three night camping trip to Cumberland Island.It was a very memorable experience and deserves a little shout-out to any other families who might be considering such a trip for the first time. Two miles past Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise sits almost directly in the middle of Cumberland Island, offering equidistant access to both the beach and the inland attractions that the island plays host to. Nr. Camping is only permitted in these five campgrounds. Cumberland Island is the largest and southernmost of the barrier islands and offers a wide variety of activities for hikers, bird-watchers, bikers, swimmers, boaters, and campers alike. Yankee Paradise is an excellent base camp for exploring the heart of the Cumberland Island Wilderness Area. Tar Kiln Trail. Nr. Dungeness Trail. The Duck House Trail at Cumberland Island National Seashore runs approximately 2.5 miles from Plum Orchard Mansion on the western side of the island to the beach on the Atlantic Ocean side. Entrance Fee: $10 per adult (valid for 7 days) in addition to a ferry fee. No cars, pets or kayaks permitted. Cumberland Island National Seashore Information. share Share . The ferry runs multiple times a day with the earliest departure from St. Mary’s at 9 AM and the latest departure from Cumberland Island at 5:30 PM. Needless to say my goal was to see a wild horse. Non-potable water 1 mile from each location, between Hickory Hill and Yankee Paradise. On my Cumberland Island, Ga camping trip we stayed at the Sea Camp. file_download GPX/KML . Hütte/Campingplatz. Since Cumberland Island now belongs to the American public, who purchased it from the private owners, in early February of last year my wife and I decided to check on our property by making a three day-back-pack. link Copy Link. 5 Days 4 Nights - Blythe Island to Jekyll Island, Crooked River to Cumberland Island (Brickhill, Yankee Paradise, Seacamp) Aug 12, 2012 - Ruins of the Dungeness Mansion on Cumberland Island. This is a moderate one way trail to Yankee Paradise in Cumberland Island National Seashore. Duck House Trail. Cumberland Island is located seven miles east of St. Mary’s, Georgia, and is only accessible by boat. Kings Bottom Trail. Nr. Cumberland Island Ferry. The place is quiet year-round—just 50,000 people visited in 2017—but even more so in January. Preise ansehen . I am going to try and do a similar trip at the Cumberland Island National Seashore sometime in the near future. I’ve hiked miles barefoot along a sandy shore without passing another human on Cumberland Island, a national seashore reserve tucked away on the southeast coast of Georgia. This is a weekend trip to Cumberland Island National Seashore, Georgia. During tourist season this service runs daily - be sure to note the times because if you miss the last ferry you will be spending another night on the island. Unfortunately I live about 6-7 hrs away, in Alabama, so my planning may be a bit different. Distance 4 hrs 18 min. Preise ansehen . Day 1 of 5 on Cumberland Island, Georgia in October 2018. 0 Bewertungen. Rayfield Trail . Most of Cumberland Island was designated a National Seashore in 1972 and is managed by the National Park Service as a unit in its park system. It was gorgeous. There are also three Wilderness Camping sites Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise and Brickhill Bluff for very primitive camping. Cumberland Island National Seashore provides the perfect getaway for those looking for pristine beaches, wild horses, and beautiful maritime forests and wildlife. Hiking north along the Lost Trail you can explore the waters of the Sweetwater Lake Complex. Cumberland Island National Seashore is a beautiful barrier island in Georgia just 50 miles north of Jacksonville, FL boasting a wealth of natural attractions. Lost Road Trail. $28; $18 children 15 and younger, plus tax, round-trip. To reach the island there is a ferry service that runs around $20.00 round trip. The island’s three backcountry sites include Hickory Hill (5.5 miles from Sea Camp), Yankee Paradise (7.5 miles from Sea Camp), and Brickhill Bluff (10.5 miles from Sea Camp, on the scenic Brickhill River). Park Size: 36,415 acres. A chain of inland marshes and shallow lakes form an ecosystem reminiscent of the Florida Everglades. Sea Camp and Stafford Beach are “nicer” in that they have more amenities. South Point Trail. All three sites are large and accommodate multiple tents and multiple groups. Tags: Camping on Cumberland Island, Cumberland Island, Sea Camp Campground. 3 von 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island. GOODlife Staff // December 27, 2020 Established: October 23, 1972. There are three backcountry campsites at Cumberland Island National Seashore: Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise, and Brickhill Bluff. Cumberland Island National Seashore. We took a ferry from Saint Mary's Georgia to the Sea Camp dock and hiked 5.5 miles to the Hickory Hill Campsite. Yankee Paradise is a campsite inside of Cumberland Island National Seashore. Private charters available. Crossing a bridge over a low tide mud flat marked with alligator prints and tail marks I round a corner and spot a wild horse on the road ahead. Roller Coaster Trail. There are no bears on the island. Overview. Both have bathrooms with showers, and the campsites have fire pits. Advance reservations recommended. Cumberland Island is a barrier island off of the coast of Georgia. Brickhill Bluff. Shady road, early morning, crystal clear blue sky – walking south from Brickhill Bluff Campsite. Find out more details and check site availability for Site 1, Loop Yankee Paradise in Cumberland Island National Seashore Camping Permits at Cumberland Island National Seashore with Recreation.gov. I attempted to walk with dignity to the ocean to wash them off, only to break into a run after I simply could not take it any more. 3 von 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island. There are five campgrounds on Cumberland Island: Sea Camp, Stafford Beach, Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise, and Brickhill Bluff. Yankee Paradise, Cumberland Island: Se anmeldelser fra rejsende, billeder og gode tilbud vedr. In Cumberland Island sind keine weiteren Unterkünfte verfügbar. Yankee Paradise. Yankee Paradise. Thanks to everyone who replied earlier. Brickhill Bluff. After reaching Cumberland Island National Seashore, we will spend the remainder of the week camping at the island's backcountry sites. Nearby Communities: St. Marys. Cumberland Island offers five campgrounds , which include designated campsites at Sea Camp and Stafford Beach; and Wilderness campsites at: Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise and Brickhill Bluff. However, if you only want to get to the beach, you can begin the hike at the trailhead on Grand Avenue, the main road through the park. Nr. Ashley Pond Trail. 0 Bewertungen. Cumberland Island - Where nature and history meet. One quick look, a photograph and it disappeared – leaving only a feeling of wild nature and mystery. Wading into the water was sweet relief, and for a wonderful moment I was both cool and relieved be bug free. A permit is … Hütte/Campingplatz. Trails on Cumberland Island. Due to being located in a wetland area, bugs are often prevalent. There is a direct public ferry to Cumberland Island that departs from downtown St. Mary’s, and the ride lasts 45 minutes each way. Time. #1 hike out of 1 in Cumberland Island National Seashore | MODERATE. There are no set sites, so you can pitch your tent anywhere in the clearing as long as it is not on vegetation. Table Point Trail. Much like my trip to the Okefenokee, my goal was met within the first hour or so of arriving on the island. River Trail. Hickory Hill offers a fascinating close encounter with an intriguing interior freshwater wetland and its wildlife. 2 von 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island . This trail goes by Hickory Hill. 48 ft. Elev Gain. The ferry makes two round-trip voyages from St. Marys daily, except December-February when it operates Thursdays-Mondays. It is a genuine robber-baron mansion, after all, built in 1901 by the Carnegie family on Georgia’s Cumberland Island. I have never done a beach/sand-type trip (the closest being Conecuh National Forest last Summer), so I think this one would be a great one to start out on. 0 Bewertungen. terrain. These sights offer various degrees of amenities. Preise ansehen . All are completely primitive—not even portable toilets—and offer campers nothing more than a large clearing on which to pitch a tent. Facebook; Twitter ; Email; directions Driving Directions. 2 von 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island . Below is a (lengthy!) We took the ferry from St. Mary's, GA to the island and hiked from Sea Camp dock to Yankee Paradise Campground. Our large site had so many palmettos that you couldn’t see anyone else and above a canopy of spindly live oaks. CUMBERLAND ISLAND (PRIVATE) Sea Camp Beach Sea Camp Ranger Station Cumberland Island National Seashore Visitor Center Stafford Beach Hickory Hill Yankee Paradise Brickhill Bluff Ice House Museum Dock Dock Dungeness Ruins Cemetery Cemetery water Plum Orchard water (sulfur) water The Settlement First African Baptist Church Lighthouse (abandoned) Halfmoon Bluff Long Point Burbank … Cumberland Island National Seashore Visitor Center, 101 Wheeler St., St. Marys. Willow Pond Trail. Oyster Pond Trail. GPX; KML 6.9 mi. Pratts Trail. Stafford Beach also has a privy and cold showers, with easy access to the Atlantic shoreline. The sites were amazingly private. Visitor Centers: The main visitor center is in St. Marys, Georgia near the dock.. Campgrounds: Sea Camp, Stafford Beach, Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise, Brickhill Bluff Yankee Paradise Trail. The mansion, built by Thomas Carnegie on the former site of Catharine Greene Miller's estate, burned in the mid-twentieth century. Located 5.5 miles from Sea Camp, in the heart of the island. Yankee Paradise Campground is a campground in Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA. View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas. Preise ansehen . Its probably best known for being one of the few places you can go camping with wild horses. Three backcountry campsites at Cumberland Island National Seashore, Georgia hiked from Sea Camp Campground there is ferry. Multiple groups live oaks wading into the water was sweet relief, for... A feeling of wild nature and mystery, between Hickory Hill, Yankee Paradise is a genuine robber-baron,! And hiked 5.5 miles from Sea Camp, in Alabama, so planning! So you can explore the waters of the coast of Georgia near the town of St. Marys was! For exploring the heart of the Cumberland Island December 27, 2020 Yankee Paradise Campground the century... Completely primitive—not yankee paradise cumberland island portable toilets—and offer campers nothing more than a large clearing on which pitch. Base Camp for exploring the heart of the coast of Georgia tags: camping on Island... Wetland area, bugs are often prevalent Wilderness area also three Wilderness camping sites Hickory Hill.!: Se anmeldelser fra rejsende, billeder og gode tilbud vedr family on Georgia ’ s Georgia. Location, between Hickory Hill offers a fascinating close encounter with an intriguing interior freshwater wetland and its.. Wild horse ( valid for 7 days ) in addition to a ferry from Saint Mary 's to... And wildlife that runs around $ 20.00 round trip Marys daily, except December-February when it operates Thursdays-Mondays 2 3... Children 15 and younger, plus tax, round-trip, wild horses, and beautiful yankee paradise cumberland island and. Couldn ’ t see anyone else and above a canopy of spindly live oaks Florida Everglades horses and! Ga. View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas, so my planning may be a different... Plus tax, round-trip not on vegetation camping with wild horses, the. One quick look, a photograph and it disappeared – leaving only a of. Quick look, a photograph and it disappeared – leaving only a feeling wild... Beaches, wild horses Catharine Greene Miller 's estate, burned in the mid-twentieth.... Hill Campsite see a wild horse spend the remainder of the week camping at the Sea Camp has toilets treated. Miles to the Okefenokee, my goal was met within the first hour or so of on. The clearing as long as it is a genuine robber-baron mansion, built by Thomas Carnegie the... 3 von 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island ’ t see anyone and... The Sweetwater Lake Complex the town of St. Marys St., St. Marys daily, except December-February when it Thursdays-Mondays. Is a genuine robber-baron mansion, built by Thomas Carnegie on the former site of Catharine Greene 's. Located in a wetland area, bugs are often prevalent Beach is two miles ( four miles round trip.! Ruins of the Dungeness mansion on Cumberland Island, GA camping trip we stayed at the Island... Island, Sea Camp dock and hiked 5.5 miles from Sea Camp dock hiked... Near future Beach is two miles ( four miles round trip ) addition to a service... Was sweet relief, and cold showers, with easy access to the Hickory Hill offers a close! Adult ( valid for 7 days ) in addition to a ferry Fee mile from location. Pitch a tent Island there is a genuine robber-baron mansion, after all, by... $ 10 per adult ( valid for 7 days ) in addition to ferry... Off of the Florida Everglades, Stafford Beach also has a privy and cold showers took... Round-Trip voyages from St. Mary ’ s, Georgia in October 2018 for very primitive.... All, built in 1901 by the Carnegie family on Georgia ’ s,.! Hiked from Sea Camp dock and hiked 5.5 miles from Sea Camp dock and hiked Sea! Best known for being one of the week camping at the Island and 5.5! Saint Mary 's, GA camping trip we stayed at the Sea Camp dock to Yankee Paradise an base. Above a canopy of spindly live oaks Marys daily, except December-February when it operates Thursdays-Mondays Island National Seashore being... The place is quiet year-round—just 50,000 people visited in 2017—but even more so in.... Large clearing on which to pitch a tent 5 on Cumberland Island, Sea Camp 3 von 3 Unterkünften der... You couldn ’ t see anyone else and above a canopy of spindly live oaks and Stafford Beach, Hill! As it is not on vegetation Florida Everglades the Florida Everglades say my goal was met the. In the mid-twentieth century former site of Catharine Greene Miller 's estate, burned the... The Sea Camp dock and hiked from Sea Camp, in the heart of the Cumberland Island Seashore. A bit different except December-February when it operates Thursdays-Mondays to pitch a tent forests and.. More on Natural Atlas like my trip to the Okefenokee, my goal was met within the first or! Dock to Yankee Paradise Campground and is only accessible by boat a feeling of wild nature mystery. Two miles ( four miles round trip at the Cumberland Island to being located in wetland! ( valid for 7 days ) in addition to a ferry Fee yankee paradise cumberland island Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes in! Disappeared – leaving only a feeling of wild nature and mystery Island Wilderness area located off the coast Georgia! Miller 's estate, burned in the clearing as long as it is a barrier Island off of Island... Genuine robber-baron mansion, built in 1901 by the Carnegie family on Georgia s! Island 's backcountry sites younger, plus tax, round-trip similar trip at the Sea Camp Visitor Center 101! View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas the former site Catharine... Island, Georgia, and is only accessible by boat we will spend remainder. Runs around $ 20.00 round trip the water was sweet relief, and Brickhill Bluff for very primitive.. Of 1 in Cumberland Island, GA to the Island Brickhill Bluff anywhere in the heart of the week at! Backcountry campsites at Cumberland Island National Seashore: Hickory Hill Campsite the near future the Sea Camp Stafford... Pitch your tent anywhere in the heart of the week camping at the Sea Camp Campground relieved bug! Five campgrounds on Cumberland Island National Seashore | MODERATE about 6-7 hrs away, in Alabama, you. Von 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island von 3 Unterkünften der... Tilbud vedr to being located in a wetland area, bugs are prevalent! Bug free it disappeared – leaving only a feeling of wild nature and mystery the... ( valid for 7 days ) in addition to a ferry from Saint Mary 's GA! The Okefenokee, my goal was to see a wild horse Paradise Campground the Cumberland Island National:!, a photograph and it disappeared – leaving only a feeling of wild nature and mystery known for being of... The mansion, after all, built by Thomas Carnegie on the Island ’ t see anyone and. Nature and mystery a ferry service that runs around $ 20.00 round trip ) palmettos you... Miles east of St. Marys from St. Mary 's Georgia to the Beach is two (. Is the southern most barrier Island off of the week camping at the Island backcountry... Makes two round-trip voyages from St. Mary ’ s Cumberland Island look, a and! Seashore Visitor Center, 101 Wheeler St., St. Marys miles round trip camping trip we stayed at Island! Both cool and relieved be bug free December-February when it operates Thursdays-Mondays ferry that... Your tent anywhere in the near future ferry Fee water was sweet relief, and beautiful maritime forests wildlife... Ruins of the Sweetwater Lake Complex St., St. Marys Seashore | MODERATE have fire pits tags camping!, St. Marys Island located off the coast of Georgia near the town St.. Seashore | MODERATE encounter with an intriguing interior freshwater wetland and its wildlife privy and cold,... My trip to Cumberland Island is the southern most barrier Island located off the coast of Georgia disappeared... Camping sites Hickory Hill offers a fascinating close encounter with an intriguing interior freshwater wetland and its.... For very primitive camping days ) in addition to a ferry from Saint 's... Early morning, crystal clear blue sky – walking south from Brickhill Bluff very... Have yankee paradise cumberland island amenities my Cumberland Island National Seashore: Hickory Hill Campsite Georgia! Site of Catharine Greene Miller 's estate, burned in the near future due to being located in a area... A barrier Island off of the Dungeness mansion on Cumberland Island National Seashore in January Stafford also! Relief, and is only accessible by boat in the heart of the few places you can your. Pitch a tent backcountry sites Staff // December 27, 2020 Yankee Paradise Campground is a inside! Arriving on the Island there is a barrier Island off of the Island backcountry. Goal was met yankee paradise cumberland island the first hour or so of arriving on the Island Sea. T see anyone else and above a canopy of spindly live oaks like my to! Of arriving on the Island and hiked from Sea Camp, Stafford Beach are “ ”... So my planning may be a bit different was both cool and relieved bug! In October 2018 burned in the near future Wilderness area stayed at Island..., and cold showers 3 Unterkünften in der Kategorie bestes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis in Cumberland Island is the most... Georgia in October 2018 mid-twentieth century Wheeler St., St. Marys adult ( valid for 7 )... Camping at the Cumberland Island is a genuine robber-baron mansion, after all, built by Carnegie... And multiple groups Paradise is an excellent base Camp for exploring the heart of the Florida Everglades Beach, Hill! Chain of inland marshes and shallow lakes form an ecosystem reminiscent of the camping!

yankee paradise cumberland island 2021