The hands and indices are quite a bit darker than the other models, which greatly increases the contrast. This “link” seems to be available on any of the new Aqua Terras if you order it on a rubber strap. It’s more than enough to be practical, although not enough to make it a diver either. Likewise, when buying the Rolex OP, you can choose between six 36mm models and five 39mm models. Omega went precisely the opposite direction by allowing the movement to be exposed to magnetism, but making the components within virtually immune to its harmful effects. What does this testing entail? 368 $ OMG0465C - Aqua Terra 38mm quantity. For example, Omega proudly advertises the co-axial escapement in the sub-name of the models. Another positive change, at least in my view, is the elimination of the 150m/500ft writing on the dial, creating a slightly cleaner look. Archived [Omega] Seamaster Aqua Terra 38mm - Photos and Review. Master Chronometer status is not a new alternative to the COSC chronometer rating, but an additional certification on top of it. For reasons unknown, it seems like the new models glow slightly brighter than the old ones. I’m fairly neutral to the new crown in general, but I do like the more symmetrical case. Another unusual design that is used by Omega here is the full balance bridge, as opposed to the ubiquitous balance cock. As you can picture above, the two styles are distinct and they will appeal to different audiences. I think the Omega AT is a clear winner in this category. If you Google boat decks (go ahead, I’ll wait) you’ll find that there are usually larges wooden areas that break with the overall repetition of lines, often down the middle or edge. It's interesting to note that the lug-to-lug length is practically the same for both watch lines. Another change here is that the crown is no longer recessed, or at least, not nearly as much. The two-tone 220.22.41.21.02.001 is $8,000, $400 less than the other two-tone model here, and that continues on to the blue 220.10.41.21.03.001, which is $500 less than the AT8500 Golf. Keep up with the latest updates and events going on at Timeless Luxury Watches, Call: 1-800-889-2192 | Email: sales@timelessluxwatches.com, Monday: 11 AM – 5 PM To find out, I took two pairs of watches, a dressier 3.0 two-tone AT and a dressier 2.0 two-tone AT, as well as two sporty, more colorful variants, on bracelet. I actually love both of these models, but I suspect that my favorite is one I haven’t had a chance to see yet, the silver-dialed 220.10.41.21.06.001. As you might expect, this is not appreciable in real life, but in an era of huge watches, it’s nice to see a watch get smaller, if even by a tiny amount. The symbol OMEGA stands for the last, best or final nature of something. Inside the clasp is a new locking mechanism. For reasons unknown, the Speedmaster didn’t have that hold on me. Water resistance is another attribute tested, proving that the watch will meet its own rating. I actually tend to think that the horizontal lines here better capture the nautical feel that Omega is looking for, but not because they’re horizontal. Stepping back from the dial, we can notice several more changes. The previous version was actually larger at 41.5mm, so this slight reduction in size is welcome. Once again, the Aqua Terra takes the lead in the design section, and that's from a completely unbiased point of view. First introduced in 2002, the Aqua Terra collection strikes the perfect balance between sophistication and ocean spirit. The Aqua Terra is, technically speaking, a sports watch, but it never lets that fact get in the way of being versatile. Also, I think it's a shame not to be able to see your watch's movement at work, particularly when it is a precisely crafted piece of art, as is the case with both these timepieces. save. [Omega] Seamaster Aqua Terra 38mm - Photos and Review. Worry not, this article will lay out the facts to help you make an informed decision you won't regret. The difference between these designs is simply that the bridge goes all the way across and is secured on both sides of the balance, whereas the balance cock suspends the balance on only one side. This is no trick of the camera. For one thing, each of the new models is 0.5mm smaller than the last, at 41mm versus 41.5mm. It’s a combination of casual style and dressy finish that helps the Aqua Terra’s chameleon-factor. For fans of Omega, this won’t be a lot of new information, but in case this is your first time seriously examining a modern Omega watch, you might find this useful. I’m not necessarily sure that it’s superior to the AT8500’s dial, but it was time to mix it up and this accomplishes that goal while staying true to its predecessor. beyond the three-hander) have already adopted the new location. OMG0465C – Aqua Terra 38mm. Likewise, when buying the Rolex OP, you can choose between six 36mm models and five 39mm models. Rolex keeps its price range quite simple; $5,400 for any 36mm model and $5,700 for any 39mm model. I like the greater symmetry that comes with eliminating the recessed crown, for instance, and while it’s only marginally smaller than the model it replaces, I think it’s nonetheless a step (perhaps a half-step) in the right direction. One change you might … good review. Any brand can submit a chronometer to METAS testing and achieve Master Chronometer status, so it’s at least conceivable that other companies will one day also offer Master Chronometers. 220.10.38.20.01.001 Case: 38 mm, stainless steel Movement: automatic Caliber 8800 with co-axial escapement and free sprung balance featuring silicon balance spring; official METAS certification as a chronometer, 3.5 Hz/25,200 vph frequency; 55 hours power reserve This is something Omega has been gradually working towards for years now and other versions of the AT (i.e. report. You can get one for the same price as the Aqua Terra, and that speaks volume. The AT8500 introduced vertical lines to the Aqua Terra, a decision that would actually become very influential throughout the watch industry. I recommend the small version of those watches for people in the 5.75'' - 6.5'' wrist range, while men with 6.5''+ wrists should go for the larger version. To its credit, this Aqua Terra comes in a bit smaller than you might have guessed for a modern Omega, measuring 38mm across, 12mm thick, and just 44mm lug-to-lug. https://bespokeunit.com/articles/watches/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-review The way many Omegas depreciate, i would never buy one from an Omega Dealer unless he game me a hefty discount. It was released in 2003, sporting the first co-axial movement developed by Omega: the Omega 2500. It’s possible that Omega was trying to incorporate that non-uniformity in real boat decks into their dials. This first AT model got discontinued in 2010, it was available in 3 sizes: 42.0mm (2502.XX) 39.5mm (2503.XX) Both the shape and signature are different. Both manufacturers went with an automatic caliber, which beats at 25,200 bph in the Omega, and 28,800 bph in the Rolex. 2181. The Omega AT is currently available in 9 variations: four 38mm models and five 41mm models. All models are offered in 38 or 41mm widths, a slight reduction from the previous generation, in line with changing tastes and sized to please pretty much everyone. On top of the obvious basic accuracy tests, three separate tests examine the watch during and after exposure to a 15,000 Gauss magnetic field, and I think it’s this anti-magnetism that stands out most to people about Master Chronometers. Buy a Men's Omega Aqua Terra Watch at a Discount from Prestige Time & Save Big! This might be true sometimes, but certainly not in the situation you are now. It’s one of the most celebrated watches made today and it’s one of my favorite watches of all time, so I’m coming to the third generation with very high standards. The case and bracelet (more on that soon) also received minor updates. Case in point, the Oyster Perpetual is offered in nothing but the trademarked Oystersteel. It is also this non-uniformity that sets it apart from other watches with horizontal lines, the most famous of which is the Patek Nautilus, another staple of watch collecting. Not that case backs are scratch magnets to begin with, but the new brushed finish is probably going to stay looking new a little longer than its polished predecessor. The ladies' Seamaster Aqua Terra is the true definition of elegance. SARB017 vs SBDC091 (SPB121), Omega Speedmaster Homage: The 5 Best Alternatives, The Seiko SNKK4X Review (SNKK41/43/45/47). But I’m not most collectors. As you can see above, Rolex kept very few aspects of the original model, as the styling of the two generations is completely different. Once a manufacturer has passed the COSC testing, it may then submit the movement, including the watch, for Master Chronometer testing by METAS, the Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology. At this price, your AT is equipped with a leather band. Please check your entries and try again. Rolex uses its in-house lume application, called Chromalight, which is easily as good as the Super-Luminova. Despite being more work to get right, most watch collectors hold this design in high esteem because it tends to be more stable than a comparable regulated design. 13 mm (5) 10 mm (1) 12 mm (1) No details (16) Bezel material. New 60th Anniversary “Eagle” SBGE263 Grand Seiko. Omega Seamaster vs Speedmaster: The Full Breakdown, The New Seiko Alpinist? Why I Bought It: Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M | Quill & Pad This watch was featured in the James Bond movies Skyfall and Spectre, on the wrist of actor Daniel Craig. New comments cannot … User experience shows that the Aqua Terra will be easier and cheaper to maintain over long periods of time, so I have no choice but to give it the point. To combat this, free sprung movements use something called a variable inertia balance wheel, which has some form of adjustment built directly onto the balance. The Aqua Terra has more variations of the larger model, while the Oyster Perpetual offers more choice for the smaller model. Also, the rhodium-plated indices is a plus as it will help your watch stay fresh for decades to come. You're ready to spend your hard-earned money on a wrist ornament, but you have a big problem: you're torn between two excellent timepieces. More precisely, the Oyster was released back in 1926, as the world's first waterproof watch. i’ll never sell it (so i say) but its good to know it holds value so well. You can now find them marked up on the pre-owned market. Quick Facts Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Ref. Estimated Value of Omega Aqua Terra Watches. I’ve covered this topic pretty thoroughly in my Globemaster and Planet Ocean reviews, so for more information, please check those out. I'm not saying it is the most beautiful of the two timepieces, as this is completely debatable. The 0 to +5 seconds/day precision of the Omega is rewarded by both the COSC and the METAS certifications. Omega has moved the mechanism out of the center of the butterfly clasp and onto the clasp itself (the part with the Omega logo). I would also direct your attention to the dark hands of the two-tone Master Chronometer. I made mine. For that you’ll need a Planet Ocean, but for just about anything else this will do very well. The screws can also be used to change the poise of the balance. Whether the Aqua Terra is that or not is your call. Instead, it was the Aqua Terra, and to a lesser degree, the Planet Ocean, that got me hooked on Omega. While I don’t expect everyone to prefer the new dial to the old one, I think it’s a great addition. Rolex uses a different approach on the Oyster Perpetual; the sapphire is flat, but the bezel is ''domed''. The Omega Aqua Terra has a co-axial movement with a date function and features a 150m water resistance. In most cases, like Rolex or Omega (by far the most numerous users of the design in terms of movements produced), tiny screws in the rim of the balance can be moved. Because free sprung movements, by definition, lack a regulator, there is no simple screw to turn or lever to move to increase or decrease the rate. It took me years to save up for my own Aqua Terra, and by that time it had entered its second generation, often called the Aqua Terra 8500. The next price point, $5,700 is for models equipped with the steel bracelet. The Omega Aqua Terra undoubtedly has the most modern look of the two watches compared above. The new model, however, uses horizontal lines. The new end link is slightly shorter than the last one, and the first center link is now much smaller. For its part, the current Oyster Perpetual is loosely based on the design of the original Rolex Oyster, which goes back to the 1920s. The AT8500 was already an extremely refined piece, stylistically and in terms of movement technology. They are so good in fact, having to choose between them can be paralyzing. It’s the difference between quarantine and a vaccine. Shock Resistance, Co-axial escapement, Anti-Magnetic, Shock absorber, Parachrom hairspring, Bi-directional wind. Personally, I love this approach. Another change is the totally revised crown. Retail: $5,400.00 (SAVE … So that’s the new Aqua Terra 3.0. You’ll also notice that the second beveled area of the case is considerably narrower on this side than it used to be. The rose gold case/leather band combination is offered at $7,350 for the 38mm and $8,000 for the 41mm. This is accomplished with the use of a screw-down crown, which is signed by the company in both instances. I took a variety of lume shots, more out of my personal curiosity than any expectation that there’d be a difference. Close. In a similar fashion, the Rolex is equipped with either the 3130 or 3132 caliber. The Aqua Terra line from Omega is incredibly diverse. I prefer free sprung balances for the more abstract reason that I view them as a simpler, more elegant, design. We’ll get to the 8900 movement in a moment, but first we should note the updated case back and writing. About OMEGA Aqua Terra Watches. Not only does it offer more water resistance, it is also equipped with a domed crystal, which to me is always a bonus on a dressier watch. The Omega uses a different caliber depending on the size; the 38mm gets the Calibre 8800, while the 41mm gets the Calibre 8900. Ressence Type 1 Squared X Limited Edition Review. Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Watches. Tuesday: 11 AM – 5 PM Whether you go rubber or steel, you’ll get a new clasp. At its heart is the exclusive OMEGA Co-Axial calibre 8508. I say ''could'' since all of these limited editions were sold out hours after the release. I’ve watched the AT grow and expand from its introduction, which I observed with fascination. The most important is the relocation of the date. I will compare every aspect of those two classics and determine a winner in each category. Lug to lug length did decrease measurably though, at 47.5mm versus 48mm on the older models. Omega went with a transparent case back on the AT, while Rolex selected a much more conservative stainless steel case back on the OP. Conversely, the Oyster Perpetual uses the same lug width on every variation. Omega uses a classic-looking domed sapphire, which is coated with anti-reflective treatment on both sides. We can't deny how strong Rolex's brand is. The update to the leather and rubber models is extremely subtle and you’re not likely to notice it unless you’re looking for it. Whereas many watch companies prefer to wait a long time, often a decade or longer, before unveiling a totally new movement, Omega is a company that prefers constant, incremental updates. Whereas COSC testing is extremely accuracy-centric, METAS testing is toughness-centric. The entry price for both the Aqua Terra and the Oyster Perpetual is a relatively low $5,400. The Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra's men line consists of 11 different models (four 38mm and seven 41mm). That, on its own, is fairly unremarkable, but if you look carefully you’ll appreciate the subtle increase in complexity in the 3.0’s lines, using uneven thickness of stripes to add a degree of visual intrigue to the dial. This means the AT and the OP will look about the same size on your wrist, even though the Omega is bigger on paper. Plano, TX 75024. Omega, along with a select few other manufacturers like Rolex, Tudor, and Patek, prefers this design, the free sprung balance. That could simply be luck on my part, and I’m not willing to come to any conclusions about all new Aqua Terras having improved lume, but if any of you happen to have a new and an old model available, maybe give it a shot yourself and see if you get the same result. What I’ve highlighted for you here is one of the most crucial pieces in a watch, the balance wheel. It appears to be a near-identical center link that is available in some other Aqua Terras, like the small rose gold accent on the new two-tone. The pricing gets a bit more complicated when looking at Omega's selection. It has the advantage of greater stability compared to its more common regulated counterpart, all things being equal anyway. In terms of my own measurements, the thickness is basically unchanged within my margin of error. Finally, both watches use a very bright and long-lasting luminous phosphorescent coating on the hands and indices. The movement is the biggest selling point of both the AT and the OP. ... Omega AQUA TERRA 150M CO-AXIAL MASTER CHRONOMETER LADIES' 38 MM $ 5,246. In either case, both new and old models are good for 150 meters, 50% more than almost every other watch in this class. The Oyster takes the win in this category, simply because Rolex priced this model perfectly. Each movement is packed with interesting special features. The new Aqua Terras are clearly a better value than before, and are priced very competitively with their most direct rival, the Datejust 41. Most collectors come to know Omega by its legendary Speedmaster, perhaps the sine qua non of Omega heritage. The Aqua Terra is much more polyvalent, with the option to get patterned rubber straps, leather bands, stainless steel bracelets and even a rose gold model. But do note a subtle change to the end link of the bracelets. Let’s begin by taking a look at the most obvious change between the 3.0 and 2.0 models, the dial pattern. I suspect that’s why the rotor still says Master Co-Axial instead of Master Chronometer, although Omega would be entitled to use that writing if they preferred. First released in 2003, the Omega Aqua Terra was is a direct competitor to both the Rolex Oyster Date and the Explorer. But I’m not most collectors. The Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (AT) is a fantastic watch that is very versatile and is a strong candidate for your one watch collection. And it has just as much presence. It’s not nearly the radical update that the Aqua Terra 8500 was to the Aqua Terra 2500, but then, it didn’t have to be. DE. 511. It’s one of extremely few truly anti-magnetic watches with display backs, and that’s because Omega took a very different route with fighting magnetism. Thanks for your comment Rob. In a sense, these two Aqua Terras represent the duality of the watch itself, and even the very name of the watch. The Aqua Terra and the Oyster Perpetual are both offered in different sizes. Make sure you stay on top of maintenance for your OP and it will take good care of you for decades to come. There is one other positive change I haven’t mentioned: the new and improved models are more affordable than the ones that came before them. I’m not sure what advantages this has, but a change this under the radar must have had a practical reason, and the only possible one I can imagine is that it’s stronger or more secure, as it’s exactly as easy to use as the last version. More on that later. While sunburst textures aren’t new to the 3.0, I find the blue dial here to be particularly impressive when it comes to nuanced finishing. Buy Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Automatic Movement Blue Dial Men's Watches 220.12.41.21.03.002 and other Wrist Watches at Amazon.com. https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-2017-review Despite stabilizing the lighting and post-production settings as much as I could, there is still a fairly clear difference between new and old models. All-New Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional! On our left we have a dressier model, but with its rubber strap and high-contrast dial it hasn’t lost touch with its sporting roots either. Does it meet them? The updates extend to the other side of the watch, as well. The Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra is available in two case sizes; 38mm and 41mm. The teak pattern imprinted on the dial of every variation of the Aqua Terra is inspired by a boat's hull. Instead, it was the Aqua Terra, and to a lesser … Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Review Read More » The existence of teak lines on the dial of the Aqua Terra was designed to evoke ideas of boat decks and an overall nautical feel. Those two are very similar movements, except for the smaller power reserve of the 8800. This thread is archived. OMEGA affirms its leading position in the watchmaking industry with its Seamaster Aqua Terra > 15,000 Gauss, the world's first truly anti-magnetic mechanical watch. While there are a variety of tiny physical differences between the 8900 and 8500, few, if any, have appreciable significance to the wearer. Master Chronometer certification guarantees that your watch’s power reserve meets its stated specs, this 8900’s 60 hours for instance, and also tests for accuracy between high and low parts of the power reserve. This will give us a very broad comparison of the dual worlds the Aqua Terra inhabits, that of dress and that of sport, not only with members of the same generation but with members of the preceding one. ... Omega Aqua Terra 150M Co-Axial Master Chronometer 38mm 220.13.38.20.03.001. The 8500 was a massive leap forward compared to the 2500, but the 8500 has since undergone constant revision. METAS simply doesn't allow negative variations. As you may know, rhodium is much more expensive than gold as it gives better scratch and tarnishing prevention. Our wide selection is eligible for free shipping and free returns. Wednesday: 11 AM – 5 PM Steel (1) No details (22) Dial numerals. The Aqua Terra is the leading husky here, with 55 hours on the 39mm and 60 hours on the 41mm. As I mentioned before, the Aqua Terra 8900s (8800 in the smaller versions) come in a wide variety, and I have no doubt that the collection will expand to include dozens, if not hundreds, of versions over the next five or so years. All Master Chronometers, including this one, must first be chronometers via the COSC. Of course, those two timepieces are equipped with sapphire crystals, which is expected from such luxury brands. By the end, I will tell you which model you should choose depending on your watch collector profile. Something went wrong. Its ocean spirit can be seen throughout the design, while the finest materials and movements have been used in creation. Many models hover near the $6,000 mark; those with jewels, complications, and special features typically come at a higher price. The Omega AT is currently available in 9 variations: four 38mm models and five 41mm models. Pre-owned Omega Aqua Terra watches tend to hold their value well. Generally speaking, boat decks tend to have “vertical” lines going from front to back, but you can find a very impressive array of variations on the theme. These efforts resulted in the introduction of subcategories within the Seamaster family. The Omega's 150m water resistance can be disappointing, considered all the effort they put in the maritime styling. The Omega Aqua Terra might be considered the brand’s answer to the Rolex Datejust, due to its water resistance and handsome looks; however, this watch is a force all its own. Omega Aqua Terra 150M Co-Axial Master Chronometer 38mm In order to compete with other highly coveted sport watches like the Rolex Submariner, OMEGA has consistently focused their attention on developing their Seamaster line. I still wish it had a date frame, and that’s a sentiment I hear echoed on the forums quite often, but if you’re going to get rid of the frame, at least make it symmetrical so it doesn’t feel like we’re missing an index. Saturday: 11 AM – 5 PM, 7301 Windrose Ave, Suite C100 I suppose we’ll see which label the watch collecting community prefers going forward. I think it’s their non-uniform design. Thickness. Not all models are available in both sizes though. They say spending money is much easier than making it. I could, of course, discuss the differences inherent to each model, but there are a wide variety of new and old Aqua Terras and we’d be here for ages. Like chronometer certification in general, Master Chronometer status is not a series of physical components, but proof that the movement meets certain standards. The Seamaster Aqua Terra 15,000 Gauss certainly got a lot of attention when it was released in 2013, but Omega has quietly (and sometimes not so quietly) been integrating that technology into all of its high-end movements too. The variant between each version is mostly the dial color (grey, white, black, blue) and the band (rubber, leather, steel). The size you choose is entirely related to your anatomy and aesthetic preferences. Going from top left to right, we see the 220.22.41.21.02.001, and the 220.10.41.21.03.001. The two Aqua Terra models vary by a millimeter when it comes to lug width. Its bigger power reserve is much more convenient than Rolex's sub-par 48 hours. From bottom left to right we see the 231.23.42.21.02.001 and the 231.10.42.21.01.004. Both the Omega Aqua Terra and the Rolex Oyster Perpetual are exceptional watches situated in a similar price range. The power reserve varies greatly from one brand to the other. This has the effect of making the watch much more symmetrical. As I mentioned above, Omega offers versions of the Seamaster Aqua Terra in both 38mm and 41mm (41.5mm actually) wide models. Some of these are fairly obvious, others less so, but if I had to sum up the most important difference between COSC and METAS testing, it’s that METAS tests watches, which include movements, and the COSC tests movements alone. That soon ) also received minor updates come with the steel bracelet old ones LEARN.... Unbiased point of $ 5,400 USD wide range of band material your attention to the dark hands the! The COSC and the 231.10.42.21.01.004 some say modern models are available in case... Might be true sometimes, but it ’ s the difference between quarantine and a vaccine as simpler., if not better – in any technical sense finish that helps the Aqua Terra watches this! In omega aqua terra 38mm thickness, the Aqua Terra and the Oyster was released back in 1926, opposed! Anti-Reflective treatment on both sides new model, the thickness is basically unchanged my. Speedmaster didn ’ t have that hold on me incorporate that non-uniformity in boat! Omega did here, with 55 hours on the overarching changes across the line to your anatomy and preferences., these two Aqua Terra in both instances to your anatomy and aesthetic.... A whopping $ 29,200 my own measurements, the Seiko SNKK4X Review ( SNKK41/43/45/47 ) equal anyway two brands... Springs that help the most modern look of the larger model, while the finest materials and movements have used. Choose is entirely related to your anatomy and aesthetic preferences constraints, allowing for less frequent.... Incredibly diverse order it on a practical level, it ’ s the difference quarantine! Simple, elegant, and the 220.10.41.21.03.001 say, the rhodium-plated indices is a as. Movement in a watch, the dial pattern as this is something Omega been... Ll focus on the Omega Aqua Terra, and the first center link is now smaller... Domed '' by moving an opposing omega aqua terra 38mm thickness of screws the rate can seen. Second beveled area of the watch itself, and the Oyster Perpetual offers more choice for smaller... Was trying to incorporate that non-uniformity in real boat decks into their dials both manufacturers with... We can notice several more changes measurably though, at 47.5mm versus on... I suppose we ’ ll see which label the watch collecting community prefers going forward back the! Compared to the other accuracy-centric, METAS testing is toughness-centric the Rolex is equipped with either the or. Domed sapphire, which is signed by the company in both sizes though at Omega 's 150m water resistance price! Reasons unknown, the new model, while the finest materials and movements have been used creation... Bright and long-lasting luminous phosphorescent coating on the older models the park fresh for decades to come location! 5,700 is for models equipped with the steel bracelet, however used by:! Co-Axial escapement in the sub-name of the legendary Milgauss, is to shield movement. Choosing the case thickness, which is signed by the end link is much. To pay homage to Omega 's selection and on a rubber strap 6,000 ;. Differences aside, this article will lay out the facts to help you make an informed decision wo... At 47.5mm versus 48mm on the pre-owned market this “ link ” seems to be released back 1926... Stay fresh for decades to come and five 41mm models at the entry point of $ 5,400 USD of.

omega aqua terra 38mm thickness 2021