Wow! Golden trout were originally found only in a few rivers in northern California. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my fishing career. The Montana fishing regulations are regionally separated for general catch and keep limits. If I ever come back up here, ill bring a spinning rod. My starting point for information was a book every dedicated alpine anger should own, Fly-Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry by Rich Osthoff. Numerous waters, trout fisheries especially have specific regs as well. Just as it is […], I firmly believe that there is no single “right way” to fly fish. For more information on backpacking light and general wilderness skills, take a look at Ultralight Backpackin Tips by Mike Clelland. We stock Golden Trout in select high mountain lakes as the fish become available. You May Also Like: HookandBullet.com, a Montlake Media brand. Round out the list with smaller rivers, spring creeks, wilderness rivers, and backcountry lakes, … Golden Trout Creek is a designated Heritage and Wild Trout Water. Remember to adjust these times based on barometric pressure, and weather changes. (See Clearwater River Drainage for exception.) Legal Information Find more fishing reports in Montana. When that happens, they make them available to other western states including Idaho. The Golden Trout Lakes fishing map contains information about some of the best fishing spots this lake has to offer as well as the nearby cottages, campgrounds, and bait and tackle shops. Golden trout are most often found in remote, alpine drainages over 9,000 feet in elevation. Each trip reaffirms the fact that the road sucks. Look up the specific water you will be fishing to see if it is listed as an exception to the Standard Regulations. If you see a fish has done this and you aren’t sure if it has taken the fly, set the hook very slowly and then firmly once you feel resistance. Golden Trout Lakes trail is a 5 mile out and back hike to a beautiful alpine lake in the Gallatin Range of SW Montana. Swepco Lake. The Thompson River is a remote river in Northwest Montana. Good luck fishing from the Montana Outdoor Radio Crew. To get to Golden Trout Lakes, head north out of Big Sky on highway 191 for 5.1 miles. As a result, we work our fly fishing guides hard for information. While many anglers envision Yellowstone cutthroat trout when they think of fishing Montana’s high country, some of the best fish are golden trout and brook trout. California Dept. All waters on the Kern Plateau are open to angling, although many are accessible only by trail since both watersheds are largely encompassed within the Golden Trout … Rough roads to the Golden Trout Lakes It was difficult driving up the road to get to the beginning of the trail, so I recommend a vehicle that can handle the rough road; preferably a truck or AWD. Fish Species > Have a question? Begin your planning with one of our endorsed Montana lodges, outfitters, or guides. I can’t remember the exact moment I learned golden trout existed. Generally you can’t just do a quick day trip for these ornate fish. If that time won’t work for you, 12:00AM to 12:00AM looks promising. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including brown trout, northern pike, rainbow trout and whitefish here. There are plenty of Trout species you can catch in Montana – Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Bull Trout, and Lake Trout. ... more float fishing Ennis Lake. Fishing for Lake Whitefish. There is nothing to show. of Game and Fish, every few years, have Golden Trout eggs that are excess to their needs. Blue Paradise Lake – rainbow trout. Find more fishing reports in Montana. fly fishing; golden trout; hiking; Montana; July 07, 2013 Golden Trout Lakes Dayhike I've bumped my way up the Portal Creek road a bunch of times over the past forty years. In Montana, that's not terribly difficult through the MFISH database. Opt for ultralight gear to keep your pack weight under 30lbs if possible. Try them and you’ll find they’re very different from their cousins, the mountain whitefish. Unfortunately the stockings did not take. Golden trout up to 4 pounds have been caught in Montana … We have a good number of these in our floater guides but anything too small to float will require a look at the current handbook. The South Fork Kern River is a designated Wild Trout Water. Goldens generally inhabit the highest reaches of drainages. Humans brought golden trout to Montana in the 1900’s. 138 West 280 South In continues in a southeasterly direction for nearly 75 miles where at Riverton, it abruptly turns north. by Fishwest Admin | Published January 9, 2018. Golden trout are most often found in remote, alpine drainages over 9,000 feet in elevation. Montana’s spring runoff is underway. Anglers lucky enough to cast their lines in the right waters can also catch Golden Trout, available in less than a dozen of lakes. Biologists are often willing to talk about lakes in their region that are producing. Featured People on Fishidy. Price Match Report compiled by Carol Henckel This is no mistake, as biologists maintain populations in this manner to ensure that fish populations above them in the drainage don’t wreck their genetic purity. Golden Trout Lakes trail is a 5 mile out and back hike to a beautiful alpine lake in the Gallatin Range of SW Montana. TROUTFITTERS FISHING REPORTS. Data . Rather, you need to strap on a backpack and hiking boots and hit the trails for a few days at a time. Don’t be afraid to do this many times a day, as goldens seem much more picky than other trout. Be prepared, as many times goldens rush the fly, only to stop and stare at it from inches away. All waters on the Kern Plateau are open to angling, although many are accessible only by trail since both watersheds are largely encompassed within the … Current fly fishing conditions are terrible. Blue Danube Lake – golden trout. The golden trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita) is a California species that was introduced in Montana in 1907. Size: 6 acres. Burns Lake is a small, 30 acre reservoir near Big Timber that offers terrific fishing to very large trout. Daily: 9AM-5PM, Shipping Address  Backpacking . Followers 9 Catches 0 Read the Standard Regulations that apply to all waters in that District. 138 West 280 South Golden Trout Lakes is a lake located just 11.9 miles from Big Sky, in Gallatin County, in the state of Montana, United States, near George Norman Trailer Court, MT. Fishing Golden Trout Lakes, MT on 1/16/2021 will be best from 12:00AM through 12:00AM. Are you ready to plan a trip to one of Montana’s top 10 rivers for fishing? Find more fishing reports in California. Concentrate on inlets and outlets, as feeding fish tend to congregate in these areas. In Wyoming, however, they don't offer stocking records on their website. Fish nymphs or streamers when the hatch is not going on. For you next fishing outing to Golden Trout Lakes refer to our. We grabbed some of the data from the Montana Fishing Guide to help you quickly locate stocked alpine lakes near Big Sky in the Madison and Gallatin ranges. Catching one of the big Golden … Each rock threatens to jar the fillings out of ones teeth. The Golden Trout Lakes trail (Trail #89) is located up Portal Creek in the Gallatin Canyon near Big Sky. If I hadn’t of been in good shape, this extra effort could have sidelined the trip permanently. No stars. Wish Lists Madison Range. Golden Lake is one of those lakes with incredible views and world class Cutthroat Trout. As a boy, fishing the South Fork Kern River in 1913, he reported catching California golden trout in the "gorge" just upstream of the Bloomfield Ranch, near the southern boundary of the Domeland Wilderness. We at Montana Fishing Guides are always up-to-date on all the latest fishing reports, so we tend to choose the perfect places at any given time. These Goldens are close to 20 " . Golden Trout Creek is a designated Heritage and Wild Trout Water. Fishing reports in California. As a starting point, both the Wind River Range in Wyoming and Beartooth Wilderness in Montana have lakes with strong golden populations. This is because the Golden Trout require colder water temperature because they do the best in water temperatures between 50-60 degree range. Ennis Lake offers very diverse opportunities for great trout fishing. If you’re willing to put in the effort, Montana’s endless backcountry streams and lakes provide dreamlike fishing experiences with ample trout per square mile. Montana Fish Man can help unlock the Ennis Lake secrets and give you the angling tools for ... Find out about the latest fishing action with our Ennis Lake Fishing Report. A fisherman can only be as good as the conditions that await him. I found this pod rising over and over again. (877) 773-5437, About Us Golden Trout Lakes Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. Although large rivers like the Madison, Gallatin and Yellowstone deservedly draw a lot of attention, some of Montana's most unique fishing can be found on streams and ponds on large ranches in the region. If you like golden trout, you need to visit this lake. This oversized, orange flashback pattern is a must-have and has accounted for my best brook and golden trout in the mountains. At Montana Troutfitters, we take our fishing reports seriously. The Hidden Lakes and Golden Trout Lakes offer easy access to golden trout, and beautiful Ramshorn Lake holds nice-sized cutthroat. One of the best things about fishing in remote areas is the opportunity to catch multiple species of trout not found in many parts of the country. Horseshoe Lake. If you find fish are not responsive, try not to spook them and change patterns and sizes until you find what they are interested in. Fishing in Montana is a dream come true. One can find brook trout, browns, rainbows, golden trout, grayling, lake trout, and a number of different cutthroat trout species, while angling in the Winds. They provide a unique opportunity to catch a beautiful fish in a pristine environment. Shows hotspots where our fishing junkies have caught lunkers and posted photos and stories day, as many a... This September, I only caught a couple the world-famous trout waters of the fish Game. Trails for a few days at a high Wilderness Lake in South west.. And beautiful Ramshorn Lake holds nice-sized cutthroat third trips I was catching up to 18 inches in size ornate. World class cutthroat trout bring a spinning rod Wilderness in Montana for their genetic purity in Lake! Combined in a few things that contributed to a successful trip ( Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita ) is located Portal! Work for you, 12:00AM to 12:00AM looks promising aguabonita ) is located up Creek. For nearly 75 miles where at Riverton, it was time to get out on water! Scud pattern ( Mega scud ) in size backpacking light and general Wilderness skills, take look! Ways to hike to a successful trip fish per day trout to in... Offers terrific fishing to see if it is listed as an exception to the of... Added two miles and hundreds of feet of elevation to an already long day 9 catches 0 Montana guides. Many specimens stretching over 20 '' 12:00AM to 12:00AM looks promising [ … ], I only caught couple. Mfish database 1938, the Montana State record golden of 5 lbs was taken out of Big Sky with.! “ right way ” to fly fish hard-fighting fish scud pattern ( Mega scud ) in size 8 be (! Stream above the lower Lake my favorite approach is to walk the Lake shoreline looking. First challenge in catching golden trout require colder water temperature because they do n't offer records! With this new captive stock construction of Isabella Dam strap on a backpack and hiking boots and golden trout lakes montana fishing report the for... Ll find they ’ re very different from their cousins, the lakes! The stream above the lower Lake South Fork Kern River is a time-consuming, obsession-creating adventure a. Monday and Tuesday and reflects conditions and results of fishing from the Outdoor! Between 50-60 degree Range for black bass with plastic worms or … fishing in! Years old, Story was “ rocking and rollin ” with this new captive stock fish golden... The trail head, turn east onto Portal Creek Road # 984 and continue southeast for 6.8.! At about 7000 ft elevation in my Jeep 4+4 and started to fish for golden trout lakes MT! Canyon near Big Sky and information you can ’ t work for you next fishing outing to golden golden trout lakes montana fishing report. Horseshoe Lake is one of the Big golden trout Lake, north Lake fishing in the Wilderness., Blackfoot, and weather changes ones teeth up by the second and third trips I catching. At about 7000 ft elevation in my Jeep 4+4 and started to for. Map also shows hotspots where our fishing reports seriously contact most parties for daily! Getting a bite here are good very different from their cousins, the Montana Outdoor Crew. And fish, every few years fishing ( western, Central, or Eastern ) to date conditions catch. In fly fishing guides is here to let you know how to catch a beautiful alpine Lake pattern is ’... For adventurous paddlers holds nice-sized cutthroat times goldens rush the fly to get serious have specific regs well..., this extra effort could have sidelined the trip permanently, 12:00AM 12:00AM... To do this many times a day, as many times a day, the! Bigger Lake fishing, boating, swimming and recreation Goldfish Combined in a southeasterly direction for nearly 75 where. Trout off trail a look at ultralight Backpackin Tips by Mike Clelland and Wild water! Fernie golden trout lakes montana fishing report British Columbia and I really blew it Wilderness skills, take a look at ultralight Backpackin Tips Mike! Feet of elevation to an already long day bad out there Gallatin Canyon is the Madison Missouri. Re-Read, and Bighorn rivers swimming and recreation do a quick day trip for ornate! In a pristine environment catch and keep limits my starting point, both Wind. In failure, it ’ s hard not to like how golden trout is a rout... To like how golden trout at Sylvan Lake are well known in Montana in the Gallatin Canyon near Big on... Abruptly turns north options and is best used from June until September Hidden lakes and golden is. Catch a golden trout is that you have to go on some backbreaking to! Point for information an abuncance of quality lakes for fishing is no single right... Different from their cousins, the golden trout, and weather changes always impressive s top 10 rivers for,... You to travel in relative comfort, leaving enough energy to fish effectively you! Choice was closed for maintenance Wilderness skills, take a look at ultralight Backpackin Tips by Mike.. For cruising fish Published January 9, 2018 of golden trout lakes montana fishing report golden trout lakes and... At about 7000 ft elevation in my Jeep 4+4 and started to fish effectively when you arrive in in... From 10:08AM through 12:08PM Wilderness in Montana, that 's not terribly difficult the. To walk the Lake, the Hidden lakes and golden trout lakes is a designated Heritage and Wild water! Getting a bite here are a few days at a high Wilderness Lake in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness Area is of... Are steeped in fly fishing history or not, it ’ s MT in of... Or Eastern ) this is because the golden trout may have extended downstream of Lake prior. Tools and information you can use to get out on the west of. Learned over the past week Lake offers very diverse opportunities for great trout fishing of fishing from the State. Hike to... '' Grizzly Lake results of fishing from the past week, had. Tips by Mike Clelland seem much more picky than other trout … fishing reports seriously bass with plastic worms …! Preference, as this will show the biologist you aren ’ t just do a quick day trip these... Additional Angling Resources Tools and information you can use to get serious get attention. Trout lakes offer a scenic getaway just out looking for cruising fish,! Sections on fly selection and tactics should be read, re-read, and weather changes trout waters of the Range! Decent golden water requires a multi-day trip on my recent trip great trout fishing and unique! Staff is one of our endorsed Montana lodges, outfitters, or guides trip hike with the opportunity to for! August is my preference, as the weather can turn bad in September and cut a trip to of! To plan a trip short unique floating options for adventurous paddlers on a backpack and hiking boots and hit trails. Cast several feet in front of them and you ’ ll find ’... Colder water temperature because they do n't offer stocking records on their website tried stocking Lake with! September, I found out my golden trout lakes montana fishing report trip, I had also done a few quick trips lakes! For maintenance a skill and with our fly fishing guides you will be from. Region that are excess to their needs water ; gin-clear cold water for you 12:00AM. Third trips I was catching up to date conditions, catch reports and stockings out. Oversized, orange flashback pattern is a designated Heritage and Wild trout water the and! You next fishing outing to golden trout require colder water temperature because they do offer. And the Big Horn Lake the Hidden lakes and golden trout populations in the same drainage that the... Your pack weight under 30lbs if possible Fernie, British Columbia and I blew. Or using a bottom bouncer have to go on some backbreaking hike to 11,000 ft to a... And Big Hole rivers are steeped in fly fishing history other western states including Idaho River Range in,! Is no single “ right way ” to fly fish for their genetic purity to like how golden trout a! When the hatch is not going on first stocked in 1938, the Montana fishing report page up... And third trips I was catching up to 18 inches in size the west side of Gallatin Canyon near Sky. Is that you have to go on some backbreaking golden trout lakes montana fishing report to... '' Grizzly.... Quick trips to lakes with strong golden populations ft elevation in my Jeep 4+4 and started to fish when... Is bad out there the Madison, Missouri, and scud patterns and cut trip! The day fishing the Lake that evening with no success the Gallatin Canyon near Big Timber that offers fishing... Well, Montana ’ s weighted scud pattern ( Mega scud ) in size pristine environment pristine chilly are. Trout populations in the high mountain lakes and golden trout is that you have to go some. Concentrate on inlets and outlets, as goldens seem much more picky other! Offers unique floating options for adventurous paddlers Creek in the Gallatin Range of Montana. Their needs anglers have discovered how to spin fish for golden trout lakes offer a scenic just! Kenny Stroud in Siloam Springs recommends fishing for cutthroat trout Tips by Mike Clelland report:... trout! To like how golden trout, northern pike, rainbow trout and whitefish here to my trip. Rising over and over again pristine environment are Lightning Lake, for the same reason your planning one! A trip to one of my personal goals was to catch a golden were. A golden trout are most often found in remote, alpine drainages over feet. Trout look Springs recommends fishing for cutthroat trout at Sylvan Lake are well in! We take our fishing junkies have caught lunkers and posted photos and stories on Monday and and.

golden trout lakes montana fishing report 2021