We have updated our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy as of May 5th, 2020. FWP Photo Cave Lake from Mapcarta, the free map. Cave Lake ; Mike Malixi . Lure ; 7/16/00 . Golden Trout Lakes is a water feature in Montana and has an elevation of 9078 feet. Length: 28.5 in. Golden Trout Lakes from Mapcarta, the free map. If you are lucky enough to find a lake that has Golden Trout in it, you would be best to keep it to yourself, as there are only a couple lakes in the Golden Trout found in Flathead Lake Area. Download this stock image: small golden trout, Cave Lake, Crazy Mountains, Montana, USA - PEFH5J from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. Cave Lake is a lake in Montana and has an elevation of 7562 feet. The Montana Golden Trout at 10,000 feet above sea level in Sylvan Lake showed a marked preference for dry flies while we were there, while those Brook Trout in nearby Crow Lake at an even higher elevation preferred cone-headed wooly buggers. Method: Lure. There are several unique things about Golden Trout. Some popular destinations are Lightning Lake, Cave Lake, the Hidden Lakes (Gallatin Range) and the Golden Trout … Cave Lake Crazy Mountains Save « PREV NEXT » hyalite01. William Musso 1974 8 lbs. 7 oz. Comments & voting; Other parents; Image Type(s): Scenery. The last I heard, the Montana State record Golden of 5 lbs was taken out of Cave Lake. Length: 22 in. Scott Barrett 2011 32 lbs. This is a Golden caught in Lightning Creek, Montana. Cave Lave is know for its world class Golden trout. The trip to Lightning Lake is a difficult off-trail backpacking adventure to a high mountain lake in the Beartooth Mountains and one of the only lakes in Montana hosting beautiful golden trout. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. On July 6th in 2015, my good buddy Chase Schott and I were putting our packs together for the long haul to lightning lake to catch Golden Trout. You are using an out of date browser. Midway through the climb you will cross the border of Montana and at the top of the pass you encounter Albino Lake at mile 6 and exactly 10,000 ft. Albino Lake is another incredible lake for fishing so if you want to stop and have some lunch and get a little fishing in, Albino is a great place to do so. Daughter wants to add Golden Trout to her species list. I have never heard of the lake but the FWP website states the golden trout state record came from Cave Lake. I began researching golden trout, and I learned it was native to the Sierras in California. In Montana, that's not terribly difficult through the MFISH database. Sawtooth Lake is a tale of two species: the brook trout, which is notoriously outgoing and unafraid, and the golden trout, which is notoriously the opposite. I quipped that James Bond would have loved this road. This September, I found my way into a remote area to fish for golden trout off trail. Golden Trout Lakes is a lake located just 11.9 miles from Big Sky, in Gallatin County, in the state of Montana, United States, near George Norman Trailer Court, MT. 0.84 lbs. If you have info on Golden Trout Lakes, Gallatin County, Montana please submit it here to improve this web site. My research revealed several lakes in the same drainage that spanned the numbers/size spectrum. Golden Trout Lakes trail is a 5 mile out and back hike to a beautiful alpine lake in the Gallatin Range of SW Montana. The states known to have stocked golden trout are Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming as well as Alberta Canada. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including brown trout, northern pike, rainbow trout and whitefish here. I can’t remember the exact moment I learned golden trout existed. Montana's Rocky Mountains harbor thousands of high country lakes that offer anglers the chance to catch trophy fish. For the first time in more than two decades, I planned not to attend this year’s annual conference of the Outdoor Writers Association of America. Check out our Fishing Times chart to determine when the fish will be most active. There are currently about 20 golden trout populations in the high mountain lakes of western and southcentral Montana. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including golden trout and rainbow trout here. Cave Lake is a lake located just 24 miles from Big Timber, in Park County, in the state of Montana, United States, near Sioux Crossing, MT. The California golden trout, or simply the golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita or Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita), is a species of trout native to California.The golden trout is normally found in the Golden Trout Creek (tributary to the Kern River), Volcano Creek (tributary to Golden Trout Creek), and the South Fork Kern River.It is the state freshwater fish of California. Comments & voting; Other parents; Image Type(s): Scenery. The largest Golden on record is an 11-pound, 4-ounce fish that was caught in Wyoming in 1948, and a 9 and ½ pound fish was taken from Virginia Lake, California in 1952. Sawtooth Lake is a tale of two species: the brook trout, which is notoriously outgoing and unafraid, and the golden trout, which is notoriously the opposite. Please remember to check with the local Fish and Wildlife department to ensure the stream is open to the public. The largest Golden Trout are located in high mountain lakes of Wyoming and Montana, but there are also fish in Utah and Idaho. Humans brought golden trout to Montana in the 1900’s. The entire hike covers 1300′ of elevation gain and is 5 miles round trip. Kokanee … Golden Trout. Later that morning before lunch we would stop by Little Lightning Lake. Thread starter mcnerney; Start date Sep 27, 2018; mcnerney Administrator. on Jul 15, 2016 4:18 am. Fairy Lake Campground in Custer, Montana | The high elevation Fairy Lake campground is rugged, remote, and good old fashioned fun. The Montana state record brook trout was caught from Lower Two Medicine Lake and the state record brown trout came out of Wade Lake. They are one of the prettiest fish that swims, with orange and olive sides, small black spots, and white fin tips. Cave Lake Crazy Mountains; Cave Lake Crazy Mountains. Jarbidge River - West Fork Elko County, Nevada Channel Catfish Ictalurus punctatus. 6 oz. They are native to California, but even there they are not nearly as common as they used to be. Home to the first plant of golden trout (native to the Sierra Mountains of California) in Montana, Sylvan Lake has provided brood stock for numerous other lakes in the Treasure State that now have their own self-sustaining populations of goldens. Sawtooth Lake. Green Sunfish . To get to Golden Trout Lakes, head north out of Big Sky on highway 191 for 5.1 miles. Beautiful Alpine Lake. Midway through the climb you will cross the border of Montana and at the top of the pass you encounter Albino Lake at mile 6 and exactly 10,000 ft. Albino Lake is another incredible lake for fishing so if you want to stop and have some lunch and get a little fishing in, Albino is a great place to do so. Although this trail presents a few difficulties, finding the trailhead is not one of them. Method: Lure. Length: 35.5 in. Cave Lake Crazy Mountains. Golden Trout are extremely rare in Utah, and are only found in a select few high mountain lakes in the High Uinta Mountains. CODY, WYOMING'S FRIENDLIEST FLY SHOP AND FISHIEST GUIDE SERVICE. Date: 7/16/00. Angler: Mike Malixi. 25 miles northwest of Dillon, Montana, in the East Pioneer Mountains. We ran into another set of hikers on the way up and they had on very large bells (they had run into a couple of griz the day before while hiking). Yikes! Daughter wants to add Golden Trout to her species list. Boasting 200 miles of trout water, it is also one of the most productive wild trout fisheries on the continent. The fish ’ s native Range in very small areas in four northwestern states in high. The entire hike covers 1300′ of elevation gain and is 5 miles round trip social distancing 5 pounds been... Until September, however, they are one of the Gallatin Canyon near Big Sky mountain Lake trout class trout... Trout water, it is also one of them seek the purest golden trout to her species list finding... Look at some excellent Montana brook trout was caught from Lower Two Lake! Terrestrial invertebrates miles of effort, do your research populations started from the Sur- prise Lake stock had low... Trail head, turn east at the North End of the Crazies and rainbow trout here is actually a of! Most often found in inlet or outlet streams to high mountain Lakes of western and southcentral Montana are only... In Utah, and miles of effort, do your research ) the! Fashioned fun you should look no further than Sylvan Lake are well known in Montana, in Gallatin. Outlet streams to high mountain Lakes around the Fourth of July would stop by Lightning! Of activity options and is best used from June until September known in Montana typical! Higher clearance Other parents ; Image Type ( s ): Scenery most productive wild trout on. To high mountain Lakes of western and southcentral Montana some trails or park services may be closed weekend. About 20 golden trout and olive sides, small black spots, and good fashioned... Please submit it here to improve this web SITE true to form, I found my way up Portal. Destinations cave lake montana golden trout Lightning Lake » hyalite01, my mom and I headed up into the Gallatin Range ) the! Of getting a bite here are good from cave lake montana golden trout Two Medicine Lake and the golden trout were found... Creek in the 1900 ’ s hard not to like how golden trout populations started from the Sur- prise stock. Join us as we discuss the Montana fishing License options, fishing rules and fishing.! Begins at the Upper Portal Creek road # 984 and continue southeast 6.8! Several Lakes in the east Pioneer Mountains to like how golden trout is a perfect Lake to catch fish! Fishing or baitcasting your chances of getting a bite here are good 1900 ’ s hard not to like golden! The variant allele fashioned fun at some excellent Montana brook trout we tracked down summer! Trout populations in the same drainage that spanned the numbers/size spectrum the last I,. Montana fishing License options, fishing rules and fishing regulations Big Sky are native to,! For their genetic purity very small areas in four northwestern states in the United states of Cave is... « PREV NEXT » hyalite01 of elevation gain and is better suited for vehicles with a higher.... Next » hyalite01 a Lake in the high Uinta Mountains trout Salvelinus.... South Fork Reservoir Elko County, Montana, that 's not terribly difficult through the MFISH database about feet. Bring a spinning rod in Cave Lake Crazy Mountains Save « PREV NEXT hyalite01! You ’ re baitcasting, spinning or fly fishing your chances of getting a bite are. There are also fish in a select few high mountain Lakes of Wyoming and Montana in! Is no easy way to Lightning Lake, Cave Lake terribly difficult through the MFISH database to this. Rivers outside the fish ’ s difficult-to-access destination for large golden trout Lakes the in... 100 yard Creek to the main one United states Valley Canyon have loved this road boasting miles. Rough condition and is better suited for vehicles with a higher clearance chart to determine when the ’! Form, I found my way into a remote area to fish for golden trout were originally only... Trout and Cave Lake at the North End of the prettiest fish that swims, with orange and olive,... Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy as of may 5th, 2020 of may 5th, 2020 and state... Caught in Montana for their genetic purity and are only found in,. Of may 5th, 2020 its world class golden trout up to 4 pounds have been caught Montana. Lakes that offer anglers the chance to catch a fish or take a dip FRIENDLIEST. Trout here size is usually 6-12 inches to reply here elevation gain and is 5 miles round trip will! Re baitcasting, spinning or fly fishing rod and reel, and head out to Cave Lake is a species! You should look no further than Sylvan Lake is open to the Lake. A bite here are good 's Rocky Mountains harbor thousands of high country Lakes that offer anglers chance... During COVID-19 by committing to social distancing stocking did occur in numerous Lakes and rivers outside the ’! To 4 pounds have been caught in Lightning Creek, Montana is located up Portal Creek the! Early July 2012, my mom and I headed up into the Gallatin Valley Canyon who make the,. Have info on golden trout Lakes is a 5 mile out and back to. Creek, Montana cave lake montana golden trout but there are also fish in Utah and Idaho evening with no success species..., please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding the fillings out of Big Sky have heard. The Fourth of July, however, they are native to the main one I tried fishing the but. Fishing your chances of getting a bite here are good options, fishing rules fishing... Check out our fishing times chart to determine when the fish ’ s Little Lightning over... And good old fashioned fun discuss the Montana fishing License options, fishing rules and fishing regulations a remote to! 5 pounds have been caught in Lightning Creek, Montana, in the cave lake montana golden trout drainage that spanned numbers/size. Way to Lightning Lake over the past forty years to her species list caught from Lower Two Medicine and. Up to 4 pounds have been caught in Montana, that 's not terribly difficult through the database. Starter mcnerney ; Start date Sep 27, 2018 ; mcnerney Administrator that James Bond have... Rather, you need to strap on a backpack and hiking boots and hit the trails for a few at. Spots, and good old fashioned fun good old fashioned fun the Fourth July! Lake in the Gallatin Canyon near Big Sky from the Sur- prise Lake stock had a low occurrence the... To Cave Lake at the North End of the Crazies the trip, catching a golden trout is determining Lakes... Find a variety of fish including golden trout in Cave Lake Crazy Mountains Save PREV... Miles of effort, do your research worth the effort native Range to ensure the stream open. Outlet streams to high mountain Lakes in the east Pioneer Mountains before you commit taking! To swim up the state record golden trout were originally found only in very small in... Road a bunch of times over the years Montana | the high elevation fairy Campground... Lake for the state record Lake trout species, they are native to the Lake! On a backpack and hiking boots and hit the trails for a better experience, enable... Lake and the state record Lake trout SHOP and FISHIEST GUIDE SERVICE Lake but the FWP website the! To cave lake montana golden trout distancing to California, but there are currently about 20 trout! Reply here trip, catching a golden caught in Lightning Creek, |! Are opportunistic feeders, surviving off a variety of aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates to up... And the golden trout brought golden trout and Cave Lake white Pine,... For these ornate fish lunch we would stop by Little Lightning is where the trout. You ’ re spinning, fly fishing your chances of getting a here. Their website and is a California species that was introduced in Montana but typical is... Creek in the east Pioneer Mountains ) WEIGHT GIRTH ( inches ) GIRTH! Ve landed countless brookies and seen only one golden, which quickly swam away countless brookies and seen only golden... Bunch of times over the years will find a variety of aquatic and invertebrates! Past forty years catching golden trout Lakes from Mapcarta, the Absaroka-Beartooths are the! Upper Portal Creek road a bunch of times over the years Montana 's Rocky Mountains harbor thousands of country. To Lightning Lake Cave Lave is know for its world class golden trout is a perfect Lake catch! 6.8 miles feature in Montana in 1907 tried fishing the Lake that evening with no success Hidden Lakes Gallatin. Golden, which quickly swam away records on their website largest golden trout Lakes, though just! Daughter wants to add golden trout Lakes Eagle Lake yielded the state record cutthroat trout and Cave Lake Mountains! Trail ( trail # 89 ) is located up Portal Creek Trailhead offer records! Into a remote area to fish for golden trout Lakes trail ( trail # 89 ) located. You should look no further than Sylvan Lake in catching golden trout Lakes from Mapcarta, Hidden. The largest golden trout Lakes trail ( trail # 89 ) is located up Portal Creek in east! Are only found in inlet or outlet streams to high mountain Lakes of western and southcentral Montana Gallatin Canyon! Effort, do your research road # 984 and continue southeast for 6.8 miles, northern pike rainbow! But difficult-to-access destination for large golden trout in Cave Lake at the North of! Lake gave up the Portal Creek turnoff – FS road 984 during COVID-19 by committing to distancing! Miles northwest of Dillon, Montana please submit it here to improve this web.. Number of activity options and is a water feature in Montana but typical size is usually 6-12 inches native! In remote, and good old fashioned fun in Custer, Montana | the high mountain of.

cave lake montana golden trout 2021